Seal-Dit (2oz. size)
When making molds for food it is important to remember that conventional sealing agents from a hardware store should not be used. These materials should be avoided because they usually contain toxic ingredients that are not approved for direct food contact. Seal-Dit™ is made from a blend of food grade waxes and specifically designed to searve as a non-toxic sealer. Seal-Dit™ is also an excellent sealing agent for general moldmaking that is not meant for food applications.
How to Use Seal-Dit™
Click the pictures below to enlarge.
Porous objects made from wood, plaster, cloth, paper and even some seashells must be sealed before applying silicone mold making materials. If left unsealed, the silicone will find its way into the microscopic pores in the surface and become mechanically locked in the surface. As a result, the object will have to be literally ripped out of the mold ruining the mold and perhaps the object being molded.
Seal-Dit™ is a food grade paste that is used to seal porous objects. Using a natural bristle artists brush, soften Seal-Dit™ by swirling the brush over the surface of the Seal-Dit™ in the jar. Apply Seal-Dit™ liberally to the porous object working it into the surface.
Wipe excess Seal-Dit™ off of the object. Removal of Seal-Dit™ will not diminish its effectiveness and instead restore the details of the object so that they can be captured by the silicone mold making material.
Apply silicone to the sealed object with confidence. Seal-Dit™ is very effective and can be used with any silicone mold making material. (Silicone Plastique® used here)
The image on the left shows a cured mold being removed from an object that was treated with Seal-Dit™. Notice how smooth the mold is and how no silicone remains on the object.
The image on the left shows what can happen when Seal-Dit™ is not used. Both the mold and the object have been ruined due to the silicone curing while entrapped in the pores of the wood.
|Dimensions||1 × 1 × 1 in|