skip to Main Content

When making a mold of an object, it is often necessary to adhere the object to the work surface. When making food grade molds, conventional adhesives should not be used due to toxicity and also due to the fact that they can inhibit the proper cure of food grade silicone.

Anchor-Dit (2oz. size)



Anchor-Dit (8oz. size)



Step 1 Step 2
Anchor-Dit Food Grade Temporary Adhesive For Mold MakingAnchor-Dit™ is a food grade, temporary adhesive that is used to adhere an object to a work surface so that silicone mold making materials do not creep underneath  it and interfere with the making of a good quality mold. Anchor-Dit™ also binds a buoyant object to a work surface so that it does not float when liquid silicone is poured over it.
Applying Anchor-Dit To Surface
Bonding Surfaces With Anchor-Dit

Apply Anchor-Dit™ about a 1/16” to the bottom of the object and press the object down on a work surface so that the Anchor-Dit™ “smooshes” out all sides.

Step 3 Step 4
Excess Anchor-Dit
Wiping Excess Anchor-Dit With Cloth

Wipe the excess Anchor-Dit™ away from the edges of the object with a soft cloth or a dry, firm bristled brush.

Applying Silicone Plastique To Anchor-Dit Mounted Object
Anchor-Dit Mounted Object Covered With Silicone Plastique

In this example, Silicone Plastique® is applied to the Anchor-Dit™ mounted object and also to an object where Anchor-Dit™ was not used.

Step 5 Step 6
Comparison Of Silicone Molds With & Without Anchor-Dit
Close Up Comparison Of Molds With & Without Anchor-Dit

In each of these images, the mold on the left was made using Anchor Dit™ and the mold on the right was made without Anchor Dit™. Notice how the opening of the left mold mold is clean, square cornered and without “flash” which refers to the thin seepage of silicone that found its way underneath the object.

CopyFlex Liquid Silicone Mold Using Anchor-Dit Temporary Adhesive
Silicone Mold Not Using Anchor-Dit Food Grade Adhesive

Image on the left captures a properly made mold using Anchor-Dit™ and liquid silicone. Image below shows how unanchored, buoyant objects can float in liquid silicone and ruin almost any mold making project.

Step 1 Step 2
Damaged Mold Not Using Seal-Dit Food Grade SealerPorous objects made from wood, plaster, cloth, paper and even some seashells must be sealed before applying silicone mold making materials. If left unsealed, the silicone will find its way into the microscopic pores in the surface and become mechanically locked in the surface. As a result, the object will have to be literally ripped out of the mold ruining the mold and perhaps the object being molded.
Seal-Dit Non-Toxic Sealer
Applying Seal-Dit With Brush

Seal-Dit™ is a food grade paste that is used to seal porous objects. Using a natural bristle artists brush, soften Seal-Dit™ by swirling the brush over the surface of the Seal-Dit™ in the jar. Apply Seal-Dit™ liberally to the porous object working it into the surface.

Step 3 Step 4
Wiping Excess Seal-Dit With ClothWipe excess Seal-Dit™ off of the object. Removal of Seal-Dit™ will not diminish its effectiveness and instead restore the details of the object so that they can be captured by the silicone mold making material. Applying Silicone To object Treated With Seal-DitObject Treated With Seal-Dit Covered With SiliconeApply silicone to the sealed object with confidence. Seal-Dit™ is very effective and can be used with any silicone mold making material. (Silicone Plastique® used here)
Step 5 Step 6
Removing Cured Mold From Object Treated With Seal-DitThe image on the left shows a cured mold being removed from an object that was treated with Seal-Dit™. Notice how smooth the mold is and how no silicone remains on the object. Removing Damaged Mold Not Treated With Seal-DitThe image on the left shows what can happen when Seal-Dit™ is not used. Both the mold and the object have been ruined due to the silicone curing while entrapped in the pores of the wood.

Back To Top